Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Fionn MacCool's at 1867 Yonge Street

Yesterday I had a business meeting with two other people at Fionn MacCool's at 1867 Yonge Street.

I chose the place because it was a good looking pub, it was located in midtown Toronto and it had wi-fi. I didn't even look at the reviews listed online at various websites I researched to find a place for the meeting.

Thus I have no idea what other websites are saying about the place, I just know how I felt about the place after going there.

#1. Good service. So they get 1 star for that.

#2. The atmosphere was okay, but nothing fantastic. I have been to a lot of British style and Irish style pubs, and unless they do something special with the decor then it isn't really a big deal to me any more. eg. The Artful Dodger and The Spotted Dick have much better decor. Half a star.

#3. The food was good. I had my standard choice, fish and chips and a Guinness. I am not being fair. It was really good chips! The fish was definitely above average, but not the best I have ever had. My meal also came with coleslaw, which was by far some of the best coleslaw I have ever had (and I usually don't like coleslaw). 1 star for the above average fish and excellent chips / coleslaw.

#4. A tad pricey, but not ridiculously so. So half a star for that.

So now I have a choice, do I give them 3 stars out of 4 or do I come up with a fifth category on which to judge this pub?

Lets see, the wi-fi worked, but it took awhile to get it working because you have to click the Fionn's Guest wi-fi, not the regular Fionn wi-fi (they don't tell you which one to use or how to use it) - and then you have to load a page in your browser and fill in the password inside the browser instead of the normal wi-fi route...

Which means I was able to connect with my laptop, but not with my phone. For this reason I don't feel like giving them any extra stars due to the overly complicated wi-fi procedures. It was too annoying.

So if pressed I would have to say only 3 stars out of 5 for Fionn MacCool's at 1867 Yonge Street. It is an okay place, but nothing special, and while the food and service was good, the atmosphere was lacking, the food overpriced and the wi-fi annoyingly difficult to get working.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments containing links will be marked as spam and not approved. We moderate every comment.

Popular Posts

Your Ad Could Be Here! Advertising Opportunities Available!
Contact charlesmoffat[at]charlesmoffat.com

Want your product, book or service reviewed? Let me know!