Friday, February 21, 2014

Minwax Wood Finish - Red Mahogany

I recently purchased red mahogany polyurethane wood finish (the brand on the label is MINWAX) for a DIY woodworking I have been doing for the last month.

Note - I followed all the instructions on the can. I then put it in the hallway to dry because it smells so bad.



However I have been waiting for 2 days for the first coat of the red mahogany stain to dry. I start to wonder "Sheesh, how long does this take to dry???"

I know I followed all the instructions on the can, so I struggle to determine what I might have done wrong.

So I go online and do a google search.

I did find some information stating that if it is exposed to the outdoors and UV light that it will slow the drying process and cause it to yellow and flake off. But my woodworking project is not outside. It is in the hallway with no windows. So this is not an UV issue.

The MINWAX website claims the drying time should be 12 hours. But it has been 2 days and it is still leaving a stain on my hands when I touch it.

The can says to wipe off excess stain after brushing on the stain with a brush. I did all that. There is no excess stain.

According to a forum I found ventilation might be an issue (the hallway has doors at both ends and this might slow ventilation). At present that is my most plausible culprit. So my goal now is to stick a fan in the hallway for 8 hours and see if that makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments containing links will be marked as spam and not approved. We moderate every comment.

Popular Posts

Your Ad Could Be Here! Advertising Opportunities Available!
Contact charlesmoffat[at]charlesmoffat.com

Want your product, book or service reviewed? Let me know!